Friday, April 01, 2011

Show Us Your Life (my church)

I love to read Kellys Korner's blog. She does a "Show Us Your Life Post" from time to time and I've never participated, but this time, I want to. I LOVE MY CHURCH!



My family and I attend Southside Baptist Church in Warner Robins, GA. We are an Air Force family and feel that the very most important thing we can do upon a PCS (military move) is to find a good church home, become involved, and serve within it. We sure hit the "jackpot" with this one! God has always blessed us with placing us just where we need to be and we trust he always will. We are Baptist so of course our beliefs and doctrine align with a Baptist Church. We have an amazing pastor who preaches the inerrant word of God. Our entire staff is wonderful! Everyone is so welcoming, friendly, and I feel geniunely caring. Nathan and I love our Life Group (Sunday school class) and we are very involved within it. We've only lived here 9 months, but in that 9 months we have made some of the most amazing, life-long connections with people in that Life Group. SSBC has an active membership of around 2700 people and meets in three regular scheduled services (even one is on Saturday night), but I can attest to the fact that a church is only as big/huge as one makes it! My advice to anyone is to join a small group, become involved in those types of ministries before you say a church is "too" huge.

We have a wonderful music ministry. We are blessed to have a couple lead our music, along with many talented musicians each service. Our music minister and his wife have performed and worked in the contemporary Christian music field professionally. One worked with Chris Tomlin and the other toured with Mark Lowery and the Gaithers.

Nathan and I lead in our children's program that meets Sunday evenings, particularly directing the Sparks section of the club (ages K-2nd). We have been involved in AWANA for going on 7 years now. We feel very partial to this ministry and that is another thing that helps us decide upon which churches to visit when we have to move. I love AWANA and have seen real testimony on how this particular ministry brings entire families closer to Christ. I'm passionate about AWANA! My boys love AWANA too and there's nothing better than hearing your own children quote scripture that they have hidden in their heart...some they even learned years ago in AWANA!





One of the most important things for us is finding a place of worship where our own children can learn about God and feel comfortable. This church has THE BEST Children's Ministry I've ever seen. Our Children's Pastor is awesome! SSBC's Fusion ministry does a virtue each month and focusea on learning what it takes to master that virtue in a godly, Christ-centered way. It's alot of fun too! Each month our Children's Pastor and his staff come up with a creative, fun video to show the children each week. And what is SUPER AMAZING is that this video (along with other learning material and skits) is also shown at my boy's (PUBLIC) elementary school once a month! Now they have the be "careful" what they can say of course, but with God's hand upon it, the message is being heard loud and clear among those students. I can't say enough of how I love this ministry. I found out last week that these virtue lessons and videos are shared among hundreds of churches around the country. They are all produced at Southside and shared at no cost! Now that is awesome!!



Here is an example of one of SSBC Fusion's virtue videos that they produce each month. You have to see it for yourself. My boys say Pastor Drew did even better than Justin Beiber! :) This one features the virtue of respect. Some others they have done are kindness, courage, responsibility, uniqueness, initiative, and several others.



If you are ever in Warner Robins, GA (home to Robins AFB), please visit SSBC.

2 comments:

G.B. said...

My husband is from Warner Robins and we just visited Southside last fall and we loved it. My husband got saved and went to Second Baptist before he took a job here in Douglasville at a church...I actually went to college with Andy Cook(Pastor Drew) and I love looking at his video's!!! What a small world! Love to hear about people that love there church...and I love W.R. My in-laws still live there so we are down there all the time. Great place to raise a family!! God bless!

Candy said...

I loved reading this, Jen! So glad ya'll have found such an awesome church family! We do the monthly virtues at FBB too, I wonder if we use your videos? Not sure!