Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tie Dyed Cupcakes

Since Seth's birthday falls during the Christmas break, I always send a birthday treat to school with him when he goes back. I saw these adorable tie dyed (or rainbow) cupcakes (and you can also make a cake like this) on Meg's blog, and knew that I wanted to do these! They are super easy, but VERY time consuming. I think it's worth it though because they came out perfect and so fun!


First of all, for 24 cupcakes, you will need 2 white cake mixes, mixed per the directions. Then divide the batter into six colors (see bowls below) and mix with each of these icing colors. Regular food coloring won't work because it's not "vibrant" enough and too much coloring will make the mix taste bitter. Been there, done that so I knew. I love these icing colors!



Then, starting with purple, layer a spoonful (talking about a regular, dinner spoon) of each color. After purple, add blue, green, yellow, orange, and last red. You don't have to be perfect or precise with spreading it all around...it will spread on it's own during baking.

Bake according to package directions. Aren't these already so neat looking??!!

Then frost with your favorite white frosting. I used the new "spray can" frosting and it was great! Easy, with a decoratort tip and I think it tasted better than the tub of frosting. Of course you can always make your own and use a decorator tip. Then add some fun sprinkles.

The food critics around here gave these a perfect score!


See what they looked like inside! LOVE the colors!

And these were ready to take to Seth's class the next day. Seth said they got excellent reviews!

I think for Mardi Gras, I'll make these just layering purple, green, and yellow. Then add just those colors of sprinkles! You could also do any holiday and just 'dye' the mix whatever color goes along with that holiday. I think 4th of July would be fun with blue and red! Oh and Halloween, orange and black...or even orange, black, with green! Oh and Christmas...the possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

Betty said...

oh Jen they are adorable! I will try it for sure....thank for share the idea...

Leslie said...

I'm totally making these for Jacob's birthday party next Saturday! those are awesome!