Jonathan is competitive. He's a smart kid and absolutely loves a challenge.
Anyway, he came home earlier this week and told me that Hayley, the girl that sits next to him in class, can write her name in cursive. He then proceeded to tell me that she can't "beat" him on knowing how to do that (his exact words!).
So I ask him more about it and he proceeds to tell me that HE wants to start writing in cursive...not just his name, but "alot of words" (again, his words).
So, I start off by writing just his name in cursive, have him trace over what I wrote, and then just kinda let him go for it. He did amazingly well too...repeatedly writing his name on his own below. He even had the correct form for each letter.
Later that evening, he asks me if I could please buy, "one of those books (I use alot of those little curriculum study workbooks that are age appropriate) that has the letters in cursive on the top line and then more lines so I can practice because I really wants to do this".
I of course say, "Ok". I haven't bought the book yet because I just haven't had the chance, but I certainly see the necessity and urgency because this is something in which he's extremely interested and of course, I'm proud.
Gotta get to Barnes and Noble tomorrow and get "one of those books". :)
Jalapeño cornbread biscuit dogs
2 days ago

1 comment:
That is AWESOME! Kynlee has been writing her name in cursive for awhile now. She was interested cuz her big sister writes that way. I really haven't sat her down and tried to teach her more. There is a pre-K school here that teaches only cursive!!
Post a Comment