The Old North Bridge (sorry these got out of order!)In the beginnning of October, my mom, aunt, good friend and I went to Boston for a fall trip. They flew from Dallas and I flew from Atlanta and then we met at Logan Airport in Boston and rented a car. We had a blast...just the girls seeing some of my old "stomping grounds" from being stationed there twice previously...I secretly wish we could go there again! There's so much history and culture and so much to do. The weather is perfect...you truly get all four seasons and I love that.
We went to the John F Kennedy Memorial Library...even this conservative Republican loved it and was fascinated by it all.
I think JFK would truly cringe at some of the ideals and policies of the Democratic party today. He was a great president and truly lived the above statement...both in politics, citizenship, and service to his country.
The leaves are BEAUTIFUL this time of year...although we got there about a week or two early for the peak foliage.
Fenway Stadium where the Red Sox play. I wanted to go inside (we've been to a game there) so badly, but I had some tired passengers so we opted to not. This is probably my favorite area in Boston...Quincy Market. Fun shops, restaurants, and history. It's right across from Fanuel Hall.
Inside Fanuel Hall...it's breathtaking how beautiful and well preserved it is.
Paul Revere's statue in Lexington Battle Green. This is where a famous battle in the Revolutionary War took place. Paul Revere gathered more minutemen and continued his ride until his capture...a few miles up the road in Concord. Interesting tidbit: Our first base home, on Patterson Road at Hanscom AFB...was a mere feet from his capture site! We could walk right over to it...they had a law that prohibited fencing from a national historical site...so there wasn't even a fence that separated it and the base. Well...that was pre-9-11. Now there is a fence.
Statue at Lexington Green.
I LOVED Bewitched and Elizabeth Montgomery was my favorite actress from the 60s and 70s!! This statue sits in Salem center. One of my Salemite friends just cringed when I showed her this...Bewitched did make Salem famous (they filmed the show there for an episode), but true residents and historians beg to differ...yes Salem is known for alot more.
Of course it's known for the Witch hunts and trials...
This is a cute little lighthouse on Salem Harbor. When we first moved to Boston in January of 1996, I wanted to see a lighthouse first thing...this is what we found! It is cute, but there are several more in New England that are much more large and beautiful.
Harvard...I didn't get many good pictures of Harvard and MIT the day we went...my camera battery died and so did my IPhone. I didn't prepare!
The Old North Church in the background with another Paul Revere statue. It was in the very top of this church where the term, "The British are Coming! The British are Coming" was born...they saw them coming from the ocean.
Paul Revere's house in the North End of Boston.
The USS Constitution, aka Old Iron's side. The US Navy still maintains the ship.












No comments:
Post a Comment