Monday, February 21, 2011

Jonathan goes to the Orthodontist

Back in October, Jonathan got braces on his teeth. His teeth are super, perfect straight, but he had a gap between his two front teeth that really bothered him. His bite was also off so we went to see a local Orthodontist, Dr. Gary Pool. We love Dr. Pool! He put braces on Jonathan's top teeth and gave him head gear (a wire that attaches to brackets on the back of his braces) that he sleeps in to correct his bite.

Well today we went to see Dr. Pool and Jonathan's bite is nearly completely corrected and his gap is completely gone! Also, Jonathan got an A+ on hygiene which is really important, but really important when one wears braces! Dr. Pool's exact words were, "That boy's got some beautiful teeth!" Of course I was proud! Jonathan will wear the braces about another year and if his gap starts to "open up", he will have maintenance with a retainer as Dr. Pool sees fit. Dr. Pool said that alot of times children who wear braces early (before all their permanent teeth come in), often need them again later. He said it's not necessarily the case with gap issues, especially when teeth are as perfect as Jonathan's...meaning they are perfectly straight and positioned well. I'm so glad we intervened at this point. It's done wonders for his self esteem and hopefully we caught a problem with the bite issue early. I know and have had professional advice that if my parents would have done this when I was young, I wouldn't have the issues I have today...bite, TMJ, etc.


Jonathan with our wonderful Orthodontist, Dr. Gary Pool. If you are in our local area, we CERTAINLY recommend him!

1 comment:

Ashlie said...

Wow! Jonathan has gotten so big! That's great that he was blessed with such good teeth...it'll save him lots of headache (pun intended) in the future!