Saturday, February 26, 2011

House Tour

Well I'm finally posting some photos of my house after we are all moved in...we've lived here for 8 months. There are still things I want to do, but that's always the case...it's a cycle, but I love to decorate so...

Here is my kitchen and breakfast room. I don't know if I mentioned on here before, but since our home was built while we were still living in LA, we couldn't monitor the progress of the construction. Our floor plan that we chose, had the breakfast room "kicked out" a bit more...with a door on the side, making room for two windows on either side of our living room by the fireplace. When we came to GA, the framers hadn't "kicked out" that breakfast area and it was too late (already sheetrock, insulation, brick, etc). I was heartbroken and can even remember lying in the hotel bed crying about it. I even wanted to get out of the contract...which we probably could have, but didn't REALLY want to (deep down). We met with our builder the next day and he gave us some really good comps and upgrades and apologized profusely. He really is a good builder. Anyway...so the breakfast room is TINY...it really should be more of a hearth room, but that isn't functional for our family. I don't like having our back door on the other side of the fireplace. You'll see in the living room pictures.

Another view of the kitchen.

See here's the door. Also, I really want to do something with my mantle. I'm not a fan (AT ALL) of having my TV mounted above the fireplace, but I didn't win that arguement so...what to do what to do?


Another view of the living room. I love my new curtains in the breakfast room, but I think with the very patterned recliner in the living room, it's a little busy. We love that chair though so it isn't going anywhere...maybe I can reposition it???

Another view of the kitchen and breakfast room/great room.

It is SO hard to get good angles for photos. This is my formal dining room that is on the other side of my kitchen. (see Max lying in his favorite spot?)

This is the view coming out of the formal dining looking toward a hallway that leads to a guest suite/bathroom, laundry, and garage.

Our stairway. Upstairs, we have the boy's bedrooms, their bathroom, a little computer area, and the bonus room that isn't finished. Yet. We are starting on that this month! Yippee!!

In that long hallway that leads to the guest room, etc...I had a little halltree built. It's great! It holds two baskets, one for each boy and then hooks above for their coats, backpacks, AWANA bags, etc.
Ok, since we didn't have the builder finish the bonus room, we didn't have a multi-purpose room for my scrapbooking, the boy's Wii TV...and we didn't have room for Jonathan's piano. SO...all this stuff is in our guest room for now. But like I said, we are finishing our bonus room in the next month and all this stuff will go up there and we can have a real guest room. I can't wait to decorate it!

Another view of that room...we have a sofa in there for watching TV/playing the Wii.

Another view of that room...my scrapbook desk (I put all my other supplies in the closet since it really is a bedroom) that I hardly use anymore. :( I want that to change.

And this is the guest bathroom. It's a full bath and I love that shower curtain. I got it at Target.

The vanity/mirror in the guest bath.

The view to the door from the living room. Our house plan called for two of those little tiny side door/window thingys and we did have time to do away with that...sometimes I'm glad, sometimes I'm not. I wanted double doors, but it's uncommon here where we live.

The boy's toilet and shower. I know this isn't an important thing to share, but I love that picture! I got it at Hobby Lobby. It says, "Dare to go Far".
And this is the boy's vanity area...it's separate from the tub and toilet. I love that they each have their own sink...now I know who to blame for globs of toothpaste and for not rinsing it out properly!
This is our computer nook. It's at the top of our stairway (goodness I have to do something with all those cords! Ack!). Mostly the boys use this computer. On the other side is a black bookshelf that holds all, well most of the boy's books.


I love this wall art from PB Kids. I got it for Jonathan...he thinks it's a bit babyish, but I don't.

Jonathan's bed. I got his bedding at PB Kids and I love it! Again, I couldn't get a good angle for a good photo. And I"m just realizing I didn't even get a picture of Seth's room.

Back downstairs. This is our master bath.

My sink.
Nathan's sink.
See, I have "loud" bedding. I got it at Steinmart and wanna know the main reason I got it??? Because it has fleur de lis on it! Ha! Now I really want something a bit more airy and...I don't know the word, more fresh and not so busy. Maybe because the weather is getting warmer? Maybe I could alternate? ;) This seems ok when it's colder.

Another view of our bedroom.

And this is where I want my little access chair to go.

10 comments:

Leslie said...

You and I have the same taste girl! I can't wait to have my forever home and get to decorating it better. Not that I don't love my house now with my things but this is what I want.

Jen said...

We do have alot in common I know. Maybe we'll live close in our retirement homes in OK...or are you guys going to retire there?

Candy said...

SO glad to finally see pics of your new house! I LOVE it!!! It is so pretty!

canscrap4u2 said...

your house looks a lot like mine but I don't have to tell you that! we have the same taste. I sorta covet your white baseboards. I love hate mine. The chocolate shows dust but it's oh so rich looking..the color, you know what i mean. love the curtains int he bkfs. area. where'd you get those? pretty, pretty pretty! miss ya! alos, I fleur de leis in my bedroom also...dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo...

Jen said...

Thanks Candy!

Oh how I miss you too Kelly! Wish I was your neighbor. :) I got my curtains at Pier One. Destiny has them in her bedroom. Great minds think alike. ha!

Yeah I'm a fan of the white baseboard and crown molding. I love how paint colors just pop with the white. I know in OK, it's common to have the rich stained colors...and even better, have the real wood ones like you have. I like that look too if it's a dark wood like your's.

Ok ladies...how can I decorate my mantel??? I loathe a TV mounted up there!

destiny said...

I LOVE it and I was so excited when I saw that you had your tour posted!!! Love your curtains! :) They look great in your breakfast nook! LOVE your black cabinets!! All the colors you picked out are so pretty!
I know guys love the TV over the mantle!! What's up with that!?! They don't have a say about much, but the tv is sure one of them!! It looks nice mounted on the wall. I would just decorate around it. Mine was like that in our last house (but in a cut-out, not mounted) and I tried to put something tall on either side of the tv like flowers and candle sticks.
You have done a fantastic job! I love everything!

destiny said...

oh, and I also have that same basket that you have in your bathroom!

Betty said...

Jen, your house it is beautiful, love the black finish of your furnitures and the color of your floors goes all together. I am in love of the halltree, we really need one of those in my house. The mirrows in your two bathrooms are beautiful. Also your cross next to your main door it is beautiful. Jen you have a good taste. See in your pictures it make me feel very welcome into your home. Thank you so much for sharing them.

Betty said...

Do you know how I can become a follow of your blog, I don't know how to do that. Yes, I am very ignorate on this loll

Jen said...

Thank you Destiny...we have such similar taste...in everything! And thank you Betty for the sweet complements. I have no idea how to follow a blog! Sorry!