Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Crispy Lemonade Chicken | Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice


I wanted to share a recipe that I made for dinner tonight. It was wonderful! I was looking for an oven "fried" chicken recipe and found this. It was perfect...and the hint of lemon made it fabulous! This recipe would probably adapt well with fish too. We had it with roasted new potatoes and steamed broccoli.

NOTE: This must marinade at least 4 hours (I marinaded mine overnight)

Crispy Lemonade Chicken
copied from one of my favorite food blogs: Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

Ingredients
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest, divided
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup water
1 cup buttermilk (you can make your own with vineagar and regular milk)
3 1/2 to 4 pounds chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on (I used boneless, skinless breasts like I always do)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
Pinch of cayenne pepper (I used ground red pepper since I didn't have cayenne)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
Olive-oil cooking spray

Directions

1. Mix 1 tablespoon lemon zest and lemon juice in a large bowl. Whisk in water and buttermilk. Pierce chicken pieces several times with a fork and season well with salt and pepper. Toss in the marinade making sure all sides are well coated, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bring the chicken to room temperature. Put the panko, thyme, the remaining lemon zest, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste in a large resealable plastic bag and shake to mix. Put the mayonnaise in a wide, shallow bowl. Set a rack on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.

3. Remove the chicken from marinade, dip in the mayonnaise, then drop into the bag and shake to coat, transfer to the rack.

4. Mist the chicken with cooking spray. Bake until golden, about 35 minutes, flip and bake until cooked through (breasts don't need to be turned), juices should run clear and internal temperature should reach 165-174 degrees F."

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oooh, yum! This looks really good. I think I have everything I need to make this. Thanks!

Angela said...

Jen...I have been looking over this blog you mentioned for the last hour. YUMMY! I will be making the chicken this week and tonight I am making the Spicy Black Bean and Corn Tortilla Pie. I can't wait to look when I'm not so rushed. She is now on my blog list so I will see when she updates. Thanks for sharing!