Saturday, June 26, 2010

Moving Day

No pictures sorry!

On Saturday, June 25th, at 6AM, we left Barksdale AFB, LA for Robins AFB, GA. I drove Nathan's truck with the 4-wheeler loaded in the back, and he drove the U-haul while towing my van. Oh my goodness I was so sad to leave! I was sure ready to get out of that TLF room, but so sad to leave my friends and family there. I was excited about our new home that we were building in Georgia, but also sad to sell our home in Louisiana. I wish I had taken pictures better, but it was all such a crazy time. I'm usually better about that sort of thing.

Anyway, we had a fiasco of a move. The day before, we loaded up our U-Haul at the Cubby Hole in Bossier and not any later than we left the parking lot and pulled onto Texas Street, we could smell a burning smell. Nathan pulled over right away and had noticed the bed of the U-Haul was riding right on the back tires. UGH! It was so hot that day! Anyway, he called U-Haul and they told him that a mechanic would be right over. Luckily he was there within a few minutes. Anyway, to make a very long story, short...the friction that was caused by the bed of the moving truck rubbing on the tire, caused a fire inside! We were not at fault because the U-Haul dealer gave us a truck with the back springs (that hold the bed part) were defective and snapped when we drove it away. We had so much completely destroyed and what was not completely destroyed, nearly everything was ruined because of the smoke, water, and fire extinguisher damage. Let's just say, another reiteration why we NEVER do DITY (do it yourself) moves with the Air Force! And this was just a partial DITY. Thankfully we were all ok, but it was still a nightmare.

Since we were traveling with a loaded down moving truck full of damaged items, we decided we wanted to just get right to our destination. We drove straight here (13 or more hours) and pulled into a hotel. I was so amazed at how well my children took it all. They are such resilient, sweet, awesome kids!

The next day, we spent all day unloading and sorting through all that awful stuff! I'll never forget that smell! Made me have a newer found sympathy for fire victims...I know it can be SO MUCH worse than what we have. U-haul compensated us thankfully and it is all over now.

More to come about our new house and more positive stuff about the move! Stay tuned.

No comments: