Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Lasagna


Nearly every time I make lasagna, I'm asked for the recipe. It's very yummy and easy to make. I ONLY use Barilla lasagna sheets...they are no boil so that's a huge plus. After I started making this, I vowed to never purchase another frozen lasagna in my life! This homemade version is definitely worth it!
Jen's Lasagna
Ingredients
1 (9 ounce) box of barilla no-boil lasagna noodles
2 eggs
1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese (I use lowfat)
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (not the powder, you need fresh)
1 T dried parsley
1/2 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1/2 lb ground, mild Italian sausage
2 (27 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (I use homemade if I have it, but if not, 2 cheap cans of Del Monte garlic and herb chunky is my favorite) Another little tip I have is to add 2 T sugar for each can of sauce. They use so much salt to preserve the sauce so if you add sugar, it counteracts all the saltiness.

Directions
Preheat oven to 375.
In bowl, combine beaten eggs, ricotta cheese and TWO cups of the mozzarella cheese and parmesan.
Set aside.
In a 13X9X3 pan, spread 1 cup of sauce on bottom of pan.
Layer in the order, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, then 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, half the browned meat, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup of spaghetti sauce.
next layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1 1/2 c. sauce.
Next layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture and remained meat, 1 cup of sauce.
For top layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, remaining sauce, and remaining 1 cup mozzarella.
Bake covered with foil for 50 minutes.
Uncover and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

If you don't have a 3 inch deep lasagna pan, you can use a 13X9X2 pan---just make 3 layers to avoid boiling over.

No comments: