Sunday, October 21, 2007

I'm at my wit's end...

I'm desperate. I'm pleaing with someone here...anyone with experience, insight, good advice, please post or email me. Please!!

I have had enough of Seth's potty mouth. It's beyond bad. I've tried everything...taking away priviledges, and I mean consistently. I've done the time out thing which doesn't seem to even phase him anymore. I've even resorted to a 'kuth fund', ya know, having him pay into a fund from proceeds he receives from his 'reward/chore chart".

I am going crazy here. Ok, first, before someone tells me to just ignore it, I have tried the whole ignoring thing...well, I ignore it most of the time, but his favorite audience member is his brother. Jonathan laughs so hard and gets a huge kick out of hearing his brother say, "Crap face", "Poop head", "Stinky Butt", "Toilet Breath"...just to name a few...ugh.

Anyone else ever dealt with this? Please tell me he's not the only one and tell me what I can do.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh Jen, I'm so feeling your pain! W. gets it from preschool, and it makes me crazy. He ends up calling me those names when he's mad. Makes me crazy. I'm not having any success either. We're also dealing with temper tantrums. (You can read about that on PL). I'm feeling like I'm failing at the parenting thing at the moment!

Maybe you should punish Jonathan whenever he laughs too? I dont' know. I wish I did.

Crazy Easton Family said...

The thing that worked for Alex, forever and I've only had to do it 2x EVER (she is almost 11) was to wash her mouth out with soap! Real hand soap, I think I put it either on her tongue or on her tooth brush and made her wash her mouth out! Seriously, she was like 4 yo the first time and probably 6 or 7 the second time. She never swears or anything. I would make Seth do it, and make his brother do it too if he thinks the potty-mouth is so funny. It will nearly kill you to do it, it was really hard to "be the mean mom" but it worked and I will (not swear) by it! GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, fortunately I don't have that problem. But my sister did and she did the same thing that someone on here mentioned... washing their mouth out with soap. Even the person that laughs and makes him want to do it more. Yep.. it worked for her too! They HATE it..who wouldn't ;)