Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Independence Day

First, thank you to all our airmen, soldiers, marines, and sailors who served or who have served. Without you all, we wouldn't even have an Independence Day. The other day, I was at the dentist's office and I heard something that made me sad. The receptionist told this lady to have a happy 4th and she replied back, "It's just any ol' day to me". I wished I would've spoken up, but in the fear of sounding cliche or judgemental, I didn't. 4th of July isn't any ol' day. It means much more than that. Today it means that there are thousands of our military members serving overseas, away from their family and friends...away from the comforts of home and without the protection that we so take for granted. Most in harm's way in countries that have no clue about Independence and what it means. Do they really appreciate what we are doing??? I'm thinking about personal friends and a family member that are in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. Reminds me of the Lone Star song so as a tribute to them, I added it to my blog. God bless America.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

it is so much more than a "day". I missed my DH so much today. I'll have to email you and tell you want happened when we went to Altus this evening with DD....
I love this song but I won't linger for fear of tears at this moment hearing the words.
Happy 4th sweetie!

Anonymous said...

You know what, I was really trying not to speak up on this issue, but after reading your post and hearing that song.. I just had to!