Monday, April 24, 2006

Frustrated

It's frustrating going to church here. I know it shouldn't be, but it is. It's hard being a southern baptist where we live. But you know, we aren't even picky about the denomination (huge step for my husband). A non-denominational church would be great if it suited our needs. Like not walking 8 blocks in the snow or just walking 8 blocks at all! Actually getting a seat. Having a way to get to know people. Having our children happy and welcomed and greeted.

The church we are attending has about, gosh I don't know, maybe 8-10,000 active members??? It's big for us. I'm so glad it meets the needs of others and most importantly, bringing souls to Christ, but we feel it's just too large for us. We want to get to know others Christians and try to develop relationships while we are here.

So we go visit another church yesterday. They have an ad in our base newspaper and someone I know said it was a nice size and Bible believing. Nobody greeted us. Nobody even looked at us. We were lost. Didn't know where to go. Didn't know where our kids should go. Everyone was talking and laughing outside...having a good ol' time and here we were. So I finally flag down a lady, actually interupt her conversation telling her it's our first time and ask where our kids should be. She directs us to their room. Two adults were standing there talking, I'm assuming they are the teachers??? Didn't say a word to us. Didn't greet us, ask us our name. Ask the kid's their name. Tell them what to do. Ask us any questions. Seth has allergies and needs to know right where the restroom is. So we tell the boys we'll be right back. They find some toys and stick together. And then Nate and I just kinda lurk around at the door. Both of us feel terribly uncomfortable leaving them. But we head to the sanctuary nonetheless, the whole time I'm feeling uneasy. So we go in...not a seat one. PLENTY of room on the pews, but nobody offers us their seat or moves to the center. And we weren't even late! No ushers. No greeters. So I say, "Let's just go". And we high-tail it to where the kids are and get the heck out of there. It was depressing.

I don't want to just forget about church while we are here, but it seems like an option. It's just really frustrating. I'm praying that God will lead us where we need to be. Maybe it's back to where we are going. Maybe we are/were too comfortable in Oklahoma where churches are on every block, southern baptist ones at that! Do we need out of our comfort zone a bit? I just want my kids to be happy and welcomed and SAFE. And THEY are at Grace so...

No comments: