I've been thinking about candy alot lately, well actually I think about candy all the time! I'm a candy fanatic! I know where Seth gets it! Jonathan doesn't really love candy, he likes it ok, but not the love like we do. Anyway...one of my favorite kind of candy was Now and Laters. I especially loved the green apple ones. I have a not so fond memory of Now and Laters though. When I was in the 9th grade, our basketball teams traveled to Genoa (over an hour away) to play. Before getting on the bus, I went to EZ Mart and got a TON of green apple Now and Laters! Like 10 packages at least! I ate them all the way to Genoa and by the time we got to the gym, I was literally seeing GREEN! I was SO SICK! I remember hardly being able to move, let alone dressing out for the game. I just sat in the locker room praying I wouldn't throw up, but really thinking I probably should! Well it hit me and it hit me hard. I started puking and had to stay that entire game in the locker room! Needless to say, my coach wasn't exactly thrilled about the whole thing.Now you ask why I'm telling you all this right? Jonathan came home a couple weeks ago, after AWANA saying, "Mom, I got some candy, but I don't want it." as he's handing it to me. Guess what kind of candy it was? Just looking at those green apple Now and Laters almost made me run to the bathroom and have a replay of that night in the 9th grade in Genoa! But in a minute, I couldn't resist. I ate a few of them and thought, "Now I remember why I love these so much!" Now I didn't overdo it like I did in the 9th grade, I understand moderation a little better.
Do you have a certain candy or food that reminds you of an event or circumstance in your life? Do you have a certain food that you used to love and now won't touch with a ten foot pole or have just started to love again after years like I did?

6 comments:
That is so funny! Ethan got a green apple now and later out of a treat basket today at a store. He DID NOT like it! And there is not much candy that he doesn't like!
The only thing I can think of for me is cherries. When I was younger, I ate too many cherries and threw up! It took me awhile to eat them again. Now, everytime I eat a cherry, I think about that time and am very careful to only eat one or two!
Yep, those big long plastic pixie sticks and Lifesaver books at Christmas time. :-) SPREE takes me back to flight school...I used to lay in bed and read Lavyrle Spencer novels and eat Spree, while Carl studied.
Ha ha ha ha! I am laughing so hard right now! That definitely sounds like a traumatic experience!
Let's see. I have a couple of food memories...cucumbers remind me of summer's at my grandma's b/c I used to eat them like bananas (2 or 3 at a time). I'd get a little tummy ache, but I loved 'em so it didn't stop me! And I broke out in a rash after eating a strawberry Now & Later one time so I've been scared to eat those ever since! I think that's about it for my food memories.
Sorry! That was my deleted comment. For some reason my comment posted twice so I took one off.
Oh, I love everlasting gobstoppers, reminds me of my childhood and Sixlets, my dad would bring them home from work all of the time, love 'em, Ken thinks they are gross ;)
Post a Comment