Friday, September 26, 2008

Flashback Friday





Now this picture isn't really that old...only about 2 years old actually. It's of me and my grandfather, Papaw Walker. I've mentioned him on my blog a few times. He's so special to me. He's my only grandparent left out of the four.

We've always been close, we lived right down the street from him when I was growing up. I have fond memories playing at his house...doing anything I wanted! He would let me play "beauty shop" and I would style his hair! I remember him always having Eskimo pies and Dr. Pepper in the glass bottles! Oh how much better soda tastes in those old glass bottles! I remember going home with him after church on Sunday and Wednesday nights, but first taking all the old widowed ladies home to DeQueen. I loved riding in his big Oldsmobile...that car was so comfy. I'd sprawl out in the back and fall asleep (back before we had any sense and used seatbelts), listening to whatever ball game was being broadcasted on AM radio. I remember him letting me drive that car before I could really see over the steering wheel (remember, I'm from redneckville).

He was my biggest Christian influence. He has been a minister for over 50 years! His birthday is next week so that's the main reason I wanted to post this picture for Flashback Friday. Since my high school homecoming is week after next, I'm going home for it. I'll get to see him and eat some of his super yummy, famous BBQ.

6 comments:

Life as Connor and Colby's Mom said...

I love your flashback!! One of my grandfathers was also a preacher. In fact, I have a few preachers in my family. Thanks for sharing these precious memories with us.

Martha said...

What sweet memories! Thanks for sharing!

Betty said...

lucky you to have at least one grandfather. I lost 4 of mine since I was 15 years old.

Candy said...

This is such a SWEET post, Jen!!! What great memories and more to be made. :)

Unknown said...

Love your post. I posted a flashback pic just for you. I miss ya!

destiny said...

What sweet memories! This post made me smile! I wish I would have known my grandfathers better. I love my grandmothers more than anything, but after reading this, I wish I would have been closer to them. They died when I was young.
My grandmother let me drive when I was probably 10!! That's how I learned to drive!! I remember barely being able to see over the steering wheel, too! I would drive in between her house and ours--we lived real close. And, then when I got just a little older--like 12...I got to drive all the way to the Winn-Dixie! Ha! Thanks for all the great memories!!