Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Jonathan Update

We went to the allergist appointment this afternoon. I missed AWANA AGAIN because we didn't get out until 6, but I had to take the appointment when I could get it.

Dr. Washburne took an Xray of Jonathan's chest, totally clear. He also tested Jonathan for asthma using the pulmonary function test...Jonathan passed with flying colors...several times. He listened to him and heard no wheezing whatsover. He of course heard Jonathan's constant/chronic cough and he said, "That's a post nasal drip cough." SO...I asked him if he really thought Jonathan had asthma and he said he didn't. I then asked him why did Jonathan fail the pulmonary function test on base on that day. He said it could be a variety of reasons, but mainly he could've been sick or the test might not have been administered correctly. Now Dr. Washburne is the specialist and his equipment is state of the art (computerized PFT) so I'm going to take his word. We have an appointment next week and he wants to just make sure about the asthma. He's going to do an exercise challenge test. Jonathan will have to run for 10 minutes and then they will measure his breathing in so many increments. Dr. Washburne said Jonathan's main thing was the extreme allergy problems (the kid is highly allergic to everything). His nose/sinuses were extremely swollen and he could tell he had bookoos (is that a real word?!) of post nasal drip.

SO...he'll go next week for the exercise test and since Nate is a runner, I'm going to ask him to go along if he can take off. Dr. Washburne's (super sweet!) nurse, Jill runs with the kids, but I know it will make Jonathan feel more comfortable to have dad there.

Another thing Dr. Washburne is exploring is reflux (GERD)...we didn't really go into alot about that because he wants to rule out the asthma for sure. He said to take certain precautions though...no eating two hours before bedtime/elevating his bed/watching the spicy foods. I think we'll talk about that more later.

AND...we will start allergy shots next week. Now he's done these before, in MA and the kid was a champ. He saw much relief from them, but now we are starting all over after moving here and having different culprits, etc Allergy shots are not a quick fix though. Jonathan might see some relief after about 6 months...much more relief by 1 year...total relief by 2 years...and then complete healing after 5. Now that's the 'norm'... each person is different. But the first two statistics were right on for Jonathan before. He went through 14 months of shots previously.

I'm feeling better after today's appointment.

10 comments:

Candy said...

Thanks for the update about the DR appt. I'm glad your feeling better about things. It sounds like ya'll are on the right road to getting some answers and hopefully relief. Keep us posted!

Jennifer said...

thanks for adding me. I didn't realize you are the Jenn that I met at playgroup that is so neat. your kids are so cute!

Angela said...

It feels better just to get to the doctor. You are on the way to finding answers!

destiny said...

That sounds very interesting! I know you feel better now that you are getting answers. Continue to keep us posted!
Missed you at Awana. It was Emma Kate's last night! I'm so sad! :(

Jennifer said...

Hey Jen, Can you invite me to your wanting to lose weight blog? Thanks Jennifer

Angela said...

I'll take care of Jennifer's request. Jen, I need your e-mail address so I can invite you to my blog. Email me at abpmills@hotmail.com.

Jen said...

Thanks Angela...I was going to refer Jen to you. :)

Glad you are joining that one too Jennifer.

canscrap4u2 said...

Well isn't that good news, and perhaps you should've mentioned to the Doc, that just maybe it was the power of prayer and NOT that the prior tests were administered incorrectly....just a thought! I am so glad it was good news, and yes, reflux can be a huge problem and can actually cause asthma type symptoms, just because of the chronic irritation from gastric juices. The test would be simple for it, just swallow some chalky stuff and roll around on the table while they take x-rays. He would probably think it was pretty cool to see the stuff going down in to his stomach on x-ray..anyway, TMI for the blog. Sorry. :-)

Life as Connor and Colby's Mom said...

I'm glad you got answers!!! I have GERD and it is worse when I'm prego. It is very painful sometimes. I know they have a great GI Ped Dr. at Sutton's. It is always nice to find a great doctor.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an ordeal. Glad things are getting straightened out and he can start to feel better.