Thursday, June 15, 2006

Today's Blog Challenge

Life's full of tough decisions. Even when we were younger, we had to make decisions of some kind...of course they seem to get tougher as we get older. What is a tough decision that you have made in your life? Did you make it all on your own or did you have help? Did you realize the consequences of your decision were beneficial and the right one to make or just the opposite. Please share and elaborate as much or as little as you want.


I think the most recent toughest decision that I've had to make was the decision to move here...another PCS (permanent change of station). Obviously it was Nathan's, but he allowed, actually encouraged my complete input as well. It was a decision that we made together equally.

We did have a choice, well of some kind. Either we could've stayed in OK whereNathan would never be promoted and always holding the same position. A jon that was stressful and full of pressure. Never really getting a chance to be in management even though it was a huge desire for Nathan, even going back to when he got his degree in Business Administration and before. Never really earning the respect of his commanders ( even though they would never say that). Allowing for the slight possibility that he might even be 'management' moved to wherever if they saw fit. OR...Nathan could take this assignment, a location where they needed him, even bypassing some of the 'red tape' that goes along with higher positions and promotions. Giving him the opportunity to be a supervisor, a leader and earn a promotion (which is a significant increase in $ for pay and for retirement plus the honor for Nathan). To get a chance to experience a different type of job. Of course, we opted for the move with much thought and prayer. It was extremely difficult because as everyone knows, I love OK and love being so close to family and great friends. I had just started a new job that I was thrilled with...wonderful co-workers, parents, childcare for my boys and those sweet sweet kids in my class. We had a wonderful church home. We had a nice, affordable, spacious home with neighbors who are amazing. It was also difficult because not only were we dealing with our issues about moving, but also those of our boys. They had wonderful friends and lots of activities. We did the best we could preparing them for the move and considering their feelings. They both were very excited about moving when they found out, but never fully understanding what all it would entail.

I think we are starting to see some of the benefits of our decision...the kids are happy and making new friends. We get to see a beautiful part of our country and have plenty of opportunity to see the sights. Nathan LOVES his job and loves everyone he works with. He has a greater sense of duty. We will know for sure that this was right when Nathan gets orders for his promotion, not just in word, but actually wearing it and receiving the pay. :) It will be exciting to find out where we are going next...it's a good posibility that it's a top choice or maybe another place on Nathan's 'dream sheet'.

Some days are better than others...on certain days I (we) have regrets. We miss things...we look in hindsight, which we shouldn't do I know. After all, like I said, we put alot of thought and prayer into this and feel that it must be God's will. We have to make the best of our situations and circumstances and that's what I'm striving to do more and more each day.

No comments: