Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Today's blog challenge

In honor of Father's Day that's coming up this Sunday, tell about a favorite memory (either in childhood or recent years) you have with your own father. Also, tell us about your husband...what are some of the big things, as well as the little things that make him a great father.


Since my dad worked straight swing shift when I was young, he would take care of me while my mom worked the day shift. There was just an hour or so where I stayed with my GranDoris between my parent's shifts. Anyway, lots of days, my dad would take me to one particular store that I loved. It was a country store, owned by a man named Jesse Bean. I remember my dad telling me that I could get whatever I wanted and it never failed, I always ran to the cheese and crackers (you know the ones with the red stick) and the grape soda...in the bottle. Soda always tasted so much better back then. I can remember sitting on top of the coke cooler drinking my grape soda and eating my cheese and crackers while my dad chatted with Mr. Bean...and whoever else was there at the time. I know it's a simple memory, but it goes with saying, I enjoyed the more simple times with my dad...just hanging out and being together. Even though as I got older and realized some things about my dad that didn't make for such pleasant memories, I still try to focus on the good times because it's just easier and makes for less hurt and guilt.

Nathan is a great dad. There are lots of big things that make him a great dad such as providing, sacrificing, loving and caring for our boys. But there are also some little things that are worth mentioned as well. Here are just a few:

He takes them on long bike rides even though he's dead tired after a long work day.
He takes them to the movies and on fun little excursions all by himself...giving me a much needed break sometimes.
He never turns them down when they want to go to the park.
He reads to them every night. No matter what.
He prays with them every night. No matter what.
He encourages their creativity and excitement.
He gives them baths nearly every time.
He gives in...alot. :)
He gets them their own drink at Starbucks and 7-11 even though they never drink but a few sips.
He sings to them.
He is affectionate and always shows love.
He is moral and is strong in his views and beliefs.
He is protective and defensive when it comes to his boys.
He is a great husband...he's considerate and respectful to me.


Now if he'd just put his socks in the hamper and his dirty dishes in the clean dishwasher, he'd be perfect! ;)

No comments: